Education

19 Film School Scholarships Awarded to Winnipeg Students

Wednesday, February 16th was a joyous day at Winnipeg’s Sisler High School. 19 scholarships to Vancouver Film School were awarded to students as part of the CREATE program; a free, post-graduation credit program that offers a year of additional learning in animation, film, graphic design, and game development.

19 budding creatives will receive full scholarships to study filmmaking at Vancouver Film School, thanks to VFS and the Schroeder Foundation. This brings the roster of students who’ve benefitted from the CREATE program to over 80 deserving individuals. The Schroeder Foundation will cover 60 per cent of each award (totalling $500,000), with the remaining 40 per cent covered by VFS. More students than ever are now benefitting from the CREATE program scholarships, and The Foundation also provided nearly $500,000 in state-of-the-art equipment to CREATE students at the start of the pandemic to allow them to continue their studies from home. The Foundation also funds an industry liaison and communications manager to help provide job opportunities for students.

Interviewed by CTV News Winnipeg, Anthony Grieco, Vancouver Film School curriculum and program development head said, “We are proud to have these students, looking forward to seeing the work they do here in Vancouver.”

“We are proud to have these students, looking forward to seeing the work they do here in Vancouver.”

The students who will soon be on their way to Vancouver Film School received their scholarship awards during a ceremony at Sisler High, during which school officials thanked Walter Schroeder for his generosity and faith in their students and their community.

More information can be found below:
CBC: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/sisler-scholarships-film-school-1.6352524
CTV: https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/winnipeg-high-school-students-receive-full-ride-scholarships-to-vancouver-film-school-1.5784644

RELATED POSTS

12 May, 2021

St. John’s High School Sees Highest Ever Graduation, Post-Secondary Enrollment for Indigenous Students

St. John’s High School, located in Winnipeg’s North End, is seeing the highest Indigenous graduation and post-secondary enrollment rates in the school’s 110 year history, thanks in large part to the support of The Schroeder Foundation.... more
6 Apr, 2019

SSEEF grant & Schroeder donation of $710K in technology enhances our talented #TechnoCreative students future!

2019 has been a year we will never forget. Two major Investments will significantly improve our infrastructure and how we deliver our programming.... more
23 Feb, 2021

15 Sisler students surprised with full scholarships to Vancouver Film School

Philanthropist Walter Schroeder is at it again, opening his wallet to help 15 inner-city Winnipeg students head to the to Vancouver Film School on full-ride scholarships.... more

LATEST NEWS

6 Apr, 2022

Schroeder Foundation Gifts 72 Merit Awards to Sisler Students

At a ceremony on March 17, 2022, 72 students at Sisler High School received merit awards thanks to a generous contribution from the Schroeder Foundation.... more
25 Feb, 2022

CTV News Features CREATE Scholarships Awarded at Sisler High School

Earlier this month, 19 Vancouver Film School (VFS) scholarships were awarded to Winnipeg’s Sisler High School students as part of the CREATE program; a free, […]... more
3 Feb, 2022

CTV News Covers Schroeder Foundation Food Program at Dufferin School

Full Bellies and Beyond As part of the Schroeder Foundation’s initiative to address food insecurity in the community, the students of Dufferin School in Winnipeg […]... more

GRANTEE SPOTLIGHT

24 Mar, 2021

Campaign for the Walter and Maria Schroeder BRAIN&HEART Centre

Join our $42-million campaign so we can do what no one has done before. We’re creating a centre where the world’s top specialists treat the toughest brain and heart cases — together…. more